Artificial intelligence (AI) development has taken the world by storm, and its impact can be seen across various industries. In fact, a study by IBM has found that 42% of businesses are currently exploring AI and 35% are implementing it. Though it is very easy to assume your job may be taken over by AI, it is important that you learn to embrace the ways it will improve the workforce by creating new jobs and opportunities. From healthcare to finance to retail, AI-powered technology is transforming the way we work and, as a job seeker, you need to stay ahead of the curve to succeed in the changing workforce.
In this article, we will explore some strategies to stay ahead in an AI-powered workforce and promote career development.
Learn how you can use AI to your advantage
As AI adoption becomes more prominent in various industries, growing alongside AI becomes essential to staying ahead of the curve and standing out among other job-seekers.
What do you have to lose by learning what it can do for you?
By utilizing some of the easiest forms of AI available, such as chatbots like ChatGPT, you can not only become more familiar with AI, but also make your life easier and more efficient in the process. Day-to-day use of AI might include:
- Routine task automation (Such as emails and scheduling)
- Decision-making (Improved by AI’s large data pools)
- Research (Such as data analysis and predictive modeling)
Develop skills that complement AI technology
While AI technology can be a great help in automating tasks, it cannot replace uniquely human skills such as creativity, emotional intelligence, critical thinking, and problem-solving. This is one of the reasons why certain workforces such as those occupied by teachers, writers and editors, lawyers, social workers, medical professionals, and management professionals will forever be human-led. To ensure your growth during these times, focus on developing skills that complement AI technology and are in high demand in the job market. Artificial Intelligence is made up of human knowledge and does not grow unless we grow beside it. Issues such as monitoring, training, and preventing malfunctions all allow for new job opportunities.
You do not need to be a programmer to work with AI.
- As AI continues to advance and play an increasingly important role in many industries, Big Data Analysis and Management prove vital, as a computer is only as intelligent as the human who informs it.
- Creativity is also important, as AI is only creative in its ability to find, and sometimes join, things that have already been made. For example, art made by generative AI systems may seem complex at first, but most of it is made by meshing many other existing works into one.
- Growing your Emotional Intelligence is necessary. Though AI may seem almost human-like at times, it is nowhere near capable of emotion and thus unable to navigate the complex social dynamics necessary for maintaining human connection.
- Effective People Management Skills are essential. While AI chatbots on websites are intended to simplify the process and provide quick assistance, they oftentimes leave people feeling frustrated and disconnected due to AI’s limited ability to understand human needs and emotions. This is where the importance of human-to-human interaction truly show’s its importance. People can empathize, communicate, and problem-solve in ways that machines simply cannot, therefore, providing a superior customer experience and building lasting relationships.
Explore careers in AI-powered fields
As AI continues to advance, many new job opportunities are emerging in AI-powered fields such as data science, software engineering, and machine learning. Explore these to learn about the skills and qualifications required and see whether you can adapt what you already do to fit into these workforces. For example, if you work in customer service, you may want to research chatbots and virtual assistants to seek ways you might be able to improve customer experiences.
Though it is easy to assume that many of the occupations within the fields of AI require coding and programming skills, there are many that do not. These careers include, but are not limited to:
- AI Consultants – Provide advice to businesses on leveraging AI technologies to solve problems, drive innovation, and achieve their goals. By bringing customized solutions, AI Consultants can tailor AI applications specifically for a business’ needs and increase profitability.
- AI Trainers/Annotation Specialists – Labels data sets to improve the accuracy and effectiveness of AI models. Though some basic technical skills may be needed, they do not require advanced programming knowledge.
- User Experience (UX) Designers – Specialize in creating user-friendly interfaces for human-to-computer interactions. UX Designers work closely with product managers, software engineers, and data scientists to understand the needs, behaviors, and limitations of AI interaction.
AI is nothing without a curated user experience. By adapting skills utilized in your current occupation, you can improve AI without technological knowledge.
Leverage AI in job search efforts
AI technology is also transforming the job search process, with many companies using AI-powered tools to screen resumes and evaluate candidates, job seekers can leverage AI by using resume optimization software, online interview preparation platforms, and job search engines that utilize such to match job seekers with relevant job postings.
Some AI have the ability to optimize your resume for different occupations. It is important to curate your resume to meet the requirements of certain jobs and an AI can help with reviewing in ways like highlighting keywords to stand out among competition and avoid filtering. The programs listed below are AI-powered tools that provide feedback on your resume for content, structure, and language. They also analyze your resume for keywords and phrases and provide suggestions on how to optimize it for ATS (Applicant Tracking System) compliance and job matching.
- Zety Resume Review
- Resume Worded
If you want to be ready for an AI-powered workforce you need to have a proactive approach and a willingness to adapt to change. By embracing AI, you can tap into its immense potential and utilize its abilities to make more informed decisions, achieve efficiency, and unlock new realms of creativity. Staying informed about the latest AI technology and trends, developing skills that complement AI technology, exploring careers in AI-powered fields, and leveraging AI in job search efforts, can allow job seekers to position themselves for success in an ever-changing workforce.
If you found this blog post helpful, check out some of our others!